CLINICAL PRACTICUM OPTION:
A 40-hr clinical practicum with an approved preceptor is required to complete each Scope of Practice. A full scope of practice requires 120 hours of experience with the preceptor.
COVID-19 Update regarding Clinical Practicum:
NEW! WEB WOC has been approved by the WOCN, to offer alternative practicum experiences (i.e. simulation, competency based education and other forms of clinical education and evaluation) that do not require a clinical facility during this time of international health care crisis with COVID-19. We will be initiating these approved alternatives to a traditional practicum starting later in Summer 2020. For those facilities continuing to accept learners, we will also continue the traditional clinical practicum.
The WOCN Certification Board administers the Experiential Pathway. Learner finishes the theory course through WEB WOC to earn the Contact Hours. Learner does not complete the practicum but works directly with the WOCN Certification Board. 1500 hours of clinical experience in each scope is required for this route of the practicum completion. For more information on eligibility, please visit http://wocncb.org/certification/wound-ostomy-continence/eligibility
The WEB WOC Program is here to support learners when identifying potential preceptors. While learners are responsible for identifying potential preceptors, we can help you! Most WEB WOC learners are able to find preceptors in large medical centers near home, but occasionally learners have to travel to access a preceptor or facility. The Wound, Ostomy, Continence Nurses Society Member Directory may also be a useful resource. The WOCN® Preceptor Directory is not affiliated with the WEB WOC Nursing Education Program.
- Be prepared to work around the preceptor’s schedule vs asking the preceptor to work around your schedule.
- Contact preceptors at least 2-3 months prior to when you expect to complete your didactic courses and begin your clinical hours.
- Be prepared to work around the preceptor’s schedule vs. asking the preceptor to work around your schedule.
- We recommend that you plan to spend at least 2-3 days per week with your preceptor, so the progress of a patient can be noted over multiple visits.
- Full Scope learners should plan to complete their clinical hours one semester (approximately 16 weeks) after completing theory.
Approximately 80% of our learners report that they do not pay preceptors for their time in the clinical practicum. However, many preceptors do charge for that service. Any financial arrangements made between the preceptor and learner is separate from the WEB WOC Nursing Education and not included in the listed program costs.
Please contact us directly if you have any additional questions.
Find Out More
What makes a Qualified Preceptor?
What are the Clinical Practicum Activities?
What are the WEB WOC Course Offerings?